We’ve designed a new class especially for more experienced knitters who are nervous about taking the plunge and making their very first sweater! Have you knit countless shawls, hats, socks, mitts but never had the gumption to cast on a sweater? If so, this class is for you. Deanna will walk you through the process to ensure your first sweater is a success.
We will be using the Fibre Co’s “One Sweater” pattern by Becky Baker. We chose this pattern for a few reasons:
- The top down construction means no seaming and enables us to try it on as we go and catch problems early
- It is a gender-neutral design that will look flattering on everyone
- Loads of sizing options. The pattern is offered over 13 sizes from age 1-2 through to a 56” chest and with the option of a shorter or longer length for the adult sizes.
- The One sweater trunk show will be visiting the shop in January so you will be able to see the finished garments before you even get started
- The Fibre Co. has developed a handy video tutorial series which will help you along the way in between our sessions.
- Finally, the suggested yarn, Cumbria, is one of our best sellers and is a beautifully soft and cozy option in lots of colours.
Cast-on, bind off, knit and purl, knitting in the round on a regular circular needle and for small circumferences (magic loop or double pointed needles).
Nice to have skills (not mandatory):
Increasing, Decreasing, short row shaping, picking up stitches, kitchener stitch.
Materials Required (not included in registration fees. Yarn must be purchased at Needles in the Hay).
Yarn, One Sweater Pattern, Needles required to achieve gauge, stitch markers, waste yarn or stitch holders, darning needle.
Homework prior to session 1: Visit needles in the hay to select yarn and needles and pick up your pattern. Knit an 8x8 swatch in Cumbria and bring to class. Instructions on swatching for the One Sweater are found here: https://youtu.be/ZmJGbATOhgE
Session 1: Project Setup
3 hrs. Saturday January 11, 3pm to 6pm.
During this session we will look at our gauge swatch and make final project size and needle selections. Then we will cast on the project and knit our collars
Homework: continue following the pattern until it is time to divide for the body and the sleeves.
Session 2: Dividing for Body & Sleeves
2 hrs. Saturday January 25, 3pm to 5pm.
During this session we will divide our sleeves from the body and continue working on the body of our sweaters as well as troubleshoot any issues you might have had with your homework.
Homework: finish body until tubular bind-off
Session 3: Tubular bind-off & Sleeves 2 hours
2hrs. Saturday, February 15, 3pm to 5pm
During this session we will work on completing the body of our sweaters with the tubular bind-off. We will also pick up and begin working on our sleeves.
Homework: finish sleeves and finish tubular bind-off if you were unable to do so in class.
Session 4: Tie up Loose ends and show off!
1 hr. Saturday March 7. 3pm to 4pm.
By now your sweater should be complete or pretty darn close. We’ve booked this time to help with any finishing issues and to catch a glimpse of your beautiful finished sweaters!